A warm welcome to our new students and parents to Eastview, and welcome back to the rest of you! I have a few quick pieces of information to pass along:
- If you read the choir information letter sent home last week, you might have noticed some incorrect dates. The correct dates are Friday March 3 for the Mini-concert, and Thursday May 4 for the Gala. The full (corrected) letter is available in PDF format here.
- For those choosing the to pay the ensemble fee online (as per the letter linked above), the payment should appear on the system by the middle of next week. The due date is October 19, to give new members a fair trial period.
- Forms for the Grade 10-12 trip to Florida will be accepted beginning this Monday. The information letter and permission form is available in PDF format here. If cost is a concern, we do have a limited bursary fund, and students/parents may contact me about applying for some of this funding. Students applying for a bursury should still submit permission forms ASAP to secure a spot on the trip.
- The forms and money for the grade nine trip to Mansfield were due on Friday. At the moment, we don’t have quite enough people signed up to run the trip. If you would like to participate but have not handed in the forms yet or expressed interest, please reply and let me know. Students in grades 10-12 may attend the trip as volunteer helpers. The cost is $200 for a three-day retreat from Oct 5-7. Grade nines should strongly consider participating, as last year’s group found it to be a very worthwhile experience.
If you use Google Calendar, this post will show you how to add the choir calendar to your Google Calendar. These instructions have been adapted from the Google Calendar help page. If you are also in chamber choir, you will need to do these steps twice.
- Open Google Calendar.
- On the left side, find “Other calendars” and click the down arrow .
- Select Add by URL.
- Enter the calendar’s address in the field provided.
- Concert Choir: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/scdsb.on.ca_a0efqgorgvocvbrvak0erhsoj0%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
- Chamber Choir: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/scdsb.on.ca_15kjl8kliejnttastv1s78767o%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
- Click Add calendar. The calendar will appear on the left side under “Other calendars.”
Thank you for your interest in Eastview’s Choirs. Our choral program is the largest in Simcoe County, and our choirs have been recognized as being among the highest quality in the country at national competitions. Most of our choir students, however, start out as beginners, so there will be an opportunity for you no matter what your level.
In addition to the information below, please also see the Ensembles page of this website.
- Our largest choir, consisting of approximately 80 members
- No audition required
- Rehearsal times – Wednesdays, 2:45-4:00, with optional repertoire being rehearsed from 4:00-4:30. Room 204.
- Fee – $50 (you can try it out before you pay, but the fee is due before you perform); bursary available. The fee covers sheet music, part of the uniform, festival fees, venue rentals, field trips, accompanists, and other miscellaneous costs.
- How to join – All are welcome at our September rehearsals, so come on out! More information will be given at that time.
- Other requirements – permanent members must be enrolled in a music course at Eastview. There is a trial period; new members may try the choir for a year, but must register in a music course if they’d like to continue the next year.
- Audition is required in June. If you missed the audition period but are still interested, please speak to Mr. Stewart.
- Rehearsal times – Tuesdays, 2:45-4:00.
- Members must also participate in the concert choir. There is no additional fee for chamber choir, beyond the concert choir fee.